ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fed-up posties refuse to deliver mail to street because swooping seagulls see brightly-coloured uniforms as threat

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Fed-up posties refuse to deliver mail to street because swooping seagulls see brightly-coloured uniforms as threat

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fe ... r-10838918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royal Mail bosses have written to homeowners in Regent Gardens, Hereford, saying deliveries are being disrupted because of 'attacks' - even though it's 70 miles from the coast

The birds are nest on rooftops in Regent Gardens, Hereford - which is 70 miles from the nearest beach.

Locals say the gulls are protecting their chicks and see the brightly-coloured Royal Mail uniforms as a threat.

The airborne attacks became so bad last week that deliveries had to halted for two days.

Residents have been warned to expect further delays until the chicks have left the nests.

Residents have been warned to expect further delays until chicks have left the nests

The letter says: “These kind of attacks can occur at this time of year as the gulls are nesting and rearing their chicks.

“Postmen are attempting to deliver to customers every day and we apologise if any customer has been affected by this.

“The safety of our people is paramount to Royal Mail and these swooping attacks made it difficult for the postmen to carry out their deliveries.”

One resident describes the angry birds as a 'menace'

“Posties are basically avoiding our street completely until the gulls leave or calm down.

“It’s bonkers. They’ll be wearing hard hats and need bodyguards next.”

Mum-of-two Kerry Kent, 34, who lives in the street, said: “They are a menace and do swoop at people.”

Royal Mail confirmed that deliveries were cancelled on Regent Gardens for two days last week.

A spokesperson said: “The gulls go for the postal workers’ heads and necks, which is obviously very dangerous.

“Our staff have gone out every day and on two occasions were forced to stop deliveries due to the risk from the gulls.

“The post was added to the next day’s deliveries. This week we have had no incidents.”
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/1 ... s/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of those living in Regent Gardens on the College Estate have even reported attacks on their dogs and cats by the birds which are fiercely protective of their chicks.

But many were stunned to receive a letter from Royal Mail last week stating that steps were being taken to identify any ‘real hazards or risks’ to the ongoing delivery of mail due to seagulls attacking the postman.

Kerry and Ben Kent, who live in the area with their two children, said they were initially unsure as to whether the letter was serious or an elaborate prank.

It asked them to make contact with Royal Mail in order to reach a ‘mutually beneficial agreement’ and avoid the need for any formal action.

Mrs Kent, 34, said: “I didn’t know they [the seagulls] were attacking the postmen but I knew they are a menace and they do swoop at people.

“It’s since the chicks have been born. It seems to come every year but appears to be getting worse.

“After receiving the letter I spoke to my husband – they said to contact them when we had received it. It seems ironic they gave a postal address to respond to.

There was no telephone number to call.”

Mrs Kent said both she and her husband are visually impaired and, should they be required to collect mail from the Royal Mail delivery office, it would be a trip of around 45 minutes a day.

Currently though, their deliveries are ‘on and off ’ and they have been given no alternative location to pick up their post. It means they are simply left wondering whether they have missed mail due to a non-delivery or because they have not had any at all.

In a statement, a spokeswoman for Royal Mail confirmed the postal service company had written to customers in Regent Gardens as postmen and women had been experiencing difficulties out on delivery recently due to the ‘swooping attacks’.

The spokeswoman said: “These kinds of attacks can occur at this time of year as the gulls are nesting and rearing their chicks. Postmen are attempting to deliver to customers every day and we apologise if any customer has been affected by this.

“The safety of our people is paramount to Royal Mail and these swooping attacks made it difficult for the postmen to carry out their deliveries.”

Another resident, Phil Davies, said the seagulls have attacked dogs and cats as well as people who have walked past the chicks on the ground.

Elaine Dickens added: “The seagulls swooped down and attacked my dog in the back garden. They spat horrible stuff out of their mouths at the dog who just cowered and ran away. They are very aggressive and protective of their young and every year we have somebody who comes and checks for nests as they tend to come back.”

Meanwhile, Mr and Mrs Kent are hoping the problem will be resolved once the chicks have gone.

Kerry added: “We just want Royal Mail to give us an alternative.

“They cannot just give us a letter saying they are not going to deliver and not say what they are going to do about it.

“How do we know if it’s not delivered?

“There’s no way of knowing really.”

In a statement, Herefordshire Council said: "Herefordshire Council works in partnership with Hereford City Council to take preventative measures to control the seagull population.

"Our contractors remove eggs and nests during the breeding season and we encourage businesses to securely dispose of trade waste by using our seagull-proof refuse sacks. The council has no powers or legal duty to deal with seagulls – this must be requested by the property owner.

“Our Environmental Health team were notified about the Regent Gardens seagulls on Thursday, July 13. Our seagull contractors found three fledgling seagull chicks, which is a time when adult seagulls become more aggressive.

"As wild birds are protected by law, no action may now be taken which could kill or harm the gulls. The property owner will need to notify us at the start of the next breeding season (April-June) so we can remove the nest.”

Anyone who has a concern about their mail can contact Royal Mail on 03457 740 740.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.