ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017... HERE

Kent's nicest postman has shared a simple yet inspirational message which we should all live by

19 May 2017, 16:13

http://www.kentlive.news/kent-s-nicest- ... story.html

The Sevenoaks postman who took 'first class' to a new level has shared an inspirational philosophy which everyone should live by.

Royal Mail worker Stephen Richmond, 56, was caught on CCTV on Tuesday (May 16) picking up someone's washing which had fallen off the line after delivering the post.

And the video, which featured on Kent Live, received heart-warming praise from readers.

"I was not aware of it until I got home and turned on my phone on and all the postmen from our office were making comments," said Mr Richmond, who works for Royal Mail three days a week, but is also a carpenter.

"I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the story online.

"It's just natural instinct to do that, I would have thought. I couldn't walk away and just leave it."

Mr Richmond originally started his career in Bexleyheath and Bexley, but moved to Seal six years ago and started doing his rounds in Sevenoaks.

He said he has never met the people in the house as he was on a different round from his usual, but thought it "really nice" of Guy McLaughlin to acknowledge the deed on Twitter as "most people would not think to do that".

Stephen Richmond putting someone's washing back on the line

"We get a lot of bad press – but there are more good postmen than bad postmen," added Mr Richmond.

"I've been a postman for 14 years and I've helped a lot of people out. People have been locked out, and I've had ladders out to help them and all sorts.

"One thing I remember is a lady had a mouse up the stairs, and she was hiding behind the door.

"She said, 'Please, please come and help me.' So I put it in the mailbag and released it in the woods."

The woman later wrote him a poem about a mouse and a postman, and gave it to him.

Mr Richmond wants other postmen to help members of the public in the same way

Mr Richmond, also known as Steve, said the enjoyment in his job comes from getting to know people as he is doing his rounds.

"When you get to know people, it really is a lovely job," he said, "You do get close to people, especially the elderly.

"We have not got as much time to stand and talk to people as much anymore, but we have always been the eyes and the ears of the community."

He said his manager praised him after seeing the video online – and he hopes other postmen will follow his example.

"Most guys do help out as much as they can, but there are some who just go around with their earphones in," Mr Richmond explained.

"So hopefully this story will make postmen think, maybe I will do something – if I see a piece of rubbish, I'll pick it up. It doesn't have to be much.

"There's nothing worse than people walking down the street and not saying 'hello'. It can cheer you up, even when you feel down yourself.

"I believe if you do something good, people will do something good for someone else as they're seeing good things. That's my philosophy anyway.

"If we all did that, the world would be a happier place."

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1