ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why Doesn't Croydon Have A CR1 Postcode

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Why Doesn't Croydon Have A CR1 Postcode

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://londonist.com/london/history/why ... 1-postcode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Croydon has a curious anomaly that makes it stand out not just from the rest of London, but from the rest of Britain. Its head postal district is CR0 instead of CR1. Not only that, but Croydon completely lacks a CR1 postcode.

To understand why this is so weird see the video below on how the postcode system evolved. Every postal code has a 1 district (eg. N1, or SW1), which is its head district (usually home to the head office or sorting office). The West End is an irregularity here; it was assigned the W1 code despite Paddington being the area's head district. Paddington got assigned the code W2 instead.

Which brings us back to CR1 and CR0 (that's a zero, not the letter 'o'). In 1966 Croydon became the second area in the country to be given an experimental postcode (the first was Norwich), a scheme intended to make it easier to sort letters for delivery.

In this new system, the head Croydon postcode district became CRO (the first three letters of the area — Norwich was similarly given the code NOR) and the adjacent districts were CR2, CR3, etc. When the national system was standardised a few years later, the first part of all postcodes was formatted to consisted of two letters and a number. In Croydon's case, it was decided that the letter 'O' was close enough to the number zero to only change slightly.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."