ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

'He is lovely': The hero postman who helped saved a 96-year-old woman from a house fire

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

'He is lovely': The hero postman who helped saved a 96-year-old woman from a house fire

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-11277962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Addy' Adigun praised for stepping in and helping 'prevent a very serious incident'

A postman has been hailed a hero after helping rescue a 96-year-old woman from a house fire.

Abiodun Shamusideen Adigun, known as Addy, was doing his rounds in Rochdale, when he spotted the blaze and Doris Clarke trapped in her home.

The pensioner, who lives with her son, couldn’t find her keys and was beginning to panic as the fire was taking hold in the front room of her Milnrow home.

But quick-thinking Addy called the fire brigade before attempting to break down Mrs Clarke’s door.

The 51-year-old enlisted the help of neighbours, but they struggled to free Mrs Clarke.

Thankfully firefighters arrived shortly afterwards and rescued her after breaking in through an upstairs window.

Addy, 51, who lives in Oldham, said: “It was a quiet day and nobody was around.

“There was no one to rescue her so I knocked on some neighbours’ doors, but we couldn’t break the door down.

“If I wasn’t around the woman would have died.

“Her daughter and son called my office and gave their thanks and I was given a £70 reward from work. All my colleagues have been calling me a hero.

“I’ve been back to check up on her.

“I always deliver her mail and she always waves at me. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn’t walked past when I did.”

Mrs Clarke was taken to hospital after the blaze in Moorland Avenue, which started in the front room after a rug was left too close to a gas fire, but was uninjured and did not suffer from any long-term effects.

Her daughter Ann Wallbutton, 71, from Lancaster, has been staying with her since the incident.

She said: “My brother lives with her, but he was at work.

“The fire wasn’t very big, but she had lost the key and couldn’t get out.

“She’s absolutely fine now. Addy is lovely. He’s always cheery and friendly.

“He pops his head round the window every day to check on her.

“He’s her little hero and she always waves to him. We’re so grateful to him and he’s such a lovely guy.

“He was just doing his job and we can’t imagine what would have happened if it wasn’t for him

“We just want to say a great big thank you for what he did.”

Ady Fielding, Royal Mail delivery director for Manchester, said: “Along with all his colleagues at the delivery office, I’m really proud of Addy.

"His speed of thought and deed undoubtedly prevented a very serious incident. He’s a credit to our company.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."