ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail strike 'could delay the post for a week'

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail strike 'could delay the post for a week'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -week.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delays to postal services caused by a 24-hour Royal Mail workers' strike on Friday could last until the end of next week, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) has warned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid ... 9746587001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - video

he walkout by more than 12,000 members will start early on Friday morning and affect services in London, Edinburgh, Bristol, Darlington and Plymouth.

The CWU said the strike would cause a "significant" impact leading to a backlog and delays lasting several days, or possibly even longer.

Worst hit will be London, with about 10,000 postal workers striking.

The strike is part of an escalating row over jobs, pay and services.

A CWU spokesman said: "It will cause a significant regional impact. It will take a couple of days to clear the backlog, at the least.

"There are still some delays caused by the strike action earlier in the month."

Dave Ward, the union's deputy general secretary, accused Royal Mail of cutting jobs, freezing pay and hitting services, saying that a latest round of cuts was "arbitrary and illogical."

However, the Royal Mail claimed almost all postal services outside London would continue to operate normally..

Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, said: "These strikes will exasperate Royal Mail's customers – the people and businesses who keep the company going. The only purpose they will serve is to accelerate the shift away from post.

"There is a crying need for change and modernisation of this business, and the union must aid this not block it."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."