ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Town’s posties to be trained in dog awareness

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Town’s posties to be trained in dog awareness

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... _awareness___/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WHEN it comes to the dog’s traditional enemies, the postman is up there with the cat.

But all that is set to change for the humble postie.

Bolton’s mail men and women are among the first in the country to be trained on how to deal with their canine adversaries.

The threat of being bitten is now so urgent that the Royal Mail has decided to take action to reduce the number of injuries.

“Dog awareness days” are to be held, telling staff the dos and don’ts of dog encounters.

The classes, which will take place in the workplace, will pass on tips such as how not to approach dogs aggressively.

Eight postmen in Bolton have been attacked by dogs in the last three months, and now residents who fail to keep their dogs under control will receive a warning letter and risk losing their deliveries.

The police and dog warden may also be contacted in the most serious cases.

Mick Hargreaves, Communication Workers Union Bolton branch secretary, said dog attacks were becoming a serious problem for postmen.

He said: “We constantly have problems with dogs, and I’m aware of three attacks in Bolton in the last couple of weeks.

“We’ve seen some nasty bites. One man was bitten on the hand, and he couldn’t drive for a week.

“A lot have to go to hospital and be stitched up. They have to have tetanus jabs, and then have to continue delivering to these people.

“Some of the dogs are very large and it can be quite traumatic.”

Royal Mail said the problem increases during the summer when parents and children are at home and dogs are allowed to roam in the garden and streets.

Bolton’s delivery manager Ian Lumley said: “Not all dogs are dangerous, but even the most placid animal can attack if it feels its territory is being threatened.

“Our first priority is to ensure the welfare and safety of our people, and increasingly we have to suspend deliveries because dogs are on the loose and it is not safe.”

Royal Mail also recommends installing a letter cage inside the front door or a secure mailbox at the front of the property.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

johnsouthwales

Re: Town’s posties to be trained in dog awareness

Post by johnsouthwales »

at least there is some common sense in this thread. similar to what i mentioned in other post.

awareness classes should have been done years ago.. mail suspension is extreme and i'm sure that amicable solutions can be achieved along the lines. one would be for deliveries at consistent time so an owner can arrange to either keep the dog indoors or around the back until the postie arrives and leaves.
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!
brothermagrew

Re: Town’s posties to be trained in dog awareness

Post by brothermagrew »

Eight postmen in Bolton have been attacked by dogs in the last three months, and now residents who fail to keep their dogs under control will receive a warning letter and risk losing their deliveries.

Hogwash & bumcome

The Royal Mail Dealing with Dog Attacks - Good Practice Guide which was produced by Human & Environmental Consultancy RM Consulting which was produced as far back as 1998 and possibly further specifically, to enable Line Managers carry out the Royal Mail Policy for dealing with dog attacks. The measures have already been in place since 1998 for residents who fail to keep their dogs under control to have received a warning letter normally known as either a (DOG1 or DOG2) letter where there is no Dog Warden scheme in place. And where there is a Dog Warden scheme in place a DW3 letter would be sent.

What gets me if interpreting correctly (and now residents) somebody hasn't been doing their job right in providing a duty of care to their employees.

"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."