ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Notice required to move you from temporary full time back to part time?

07 Aug 2017, 17:40

Hi, I keep getting told by union reps that royal mail are required to give 28 days notice to remove you from temporary full time to put you back onto your part time hours, but the managers are saying they don't have to give any. There was no consultation, just a letter left for when we returned from delivery without any consultation. Is this allowed?

If 28 days is actually required then is there a document that states this? The contracts apparently say they can take you off after consultation and reasonable notice but what constitutes as reasonable?

I've found this on the ACAS website but unsure if it relates to temporary contracts:

"How can contracts be varied?
● An existing contract of employment can be varied only with the agreement
of both parties. Changes may be agreed on an individual basis or through a
collective agreement (ie: agreement between employer and employee or
their representatives (trade unions or workforce representatives)).
● An employer who is proposing to change an employee’s contract of
employment should fully consult with that employee or his or her
representative(s) and explain and discuss the reasons for the change.
● Employees are far more likely to accept changes if they can understand the
reasons behind them and have an opportunity to express their views.
Involving employees makes good business sense, as it drives up levels of
employee engagement and motivation.
● Variations to the contract can be agreed verbally or in writing. It is preferable
for any agreed changes to be recorded in writing.
● Where a variation to the contract has been agreed and the changes
concern particulars which must be included in the written statement of
terms and conditions, the employer should give written notification of the
change to the employee, within a month of the change taking effect."

07 Aug 2017, 18:12

I think the 28 days maybe to do with the IR framework from stage1 to stage 3 disagreement time scale

But not 100%

07 Aug 2017, 18:25

How come theyve made you back down to pt

07 Aug 2017, 18:54

They still want us to do full time hours and book the overtime, except for tomorrow because it'll be quiet so want us in part time.

It's because there's been a revision, they want permanent full time positions to be available purely on seniority in the repick, not given to the people who have been doing those hours the longest, which I don't necessarily have a problem with, but giving 3 days notice seems a bit unfair to me.

08 Aug 2017, 12:35

whether or not you should have 28 days notice is entirely down to the contract you signed accepting the temporary contract.

Also if you have been on the temporary contract for more than 4 years it becomes permanent. If more than 2 years then there is a chance that the Union may be able to help based on this LTB viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29002

In your contract, you need to look for

1. An end date or
2. An action that will end the contract. (for example the revision)

If they have either then the 28 days may not be needed, but if they are included and you are between 2 and 4 years on that contract then as before the CWU may be able to help.

08 Aug 2017, 16:55

How long were you on the temporary contract?

09 Aug 2017, 13:58

When I swapped to the hours I just received a letter stating with effect from 09/16 my terms and conditions of employment will be varied due to a temporary move from part-time to full-time hours and had to sign it and send it back (and keep a copy myself).

It states the new terms listing: job title, business unit etc then hours of attendance 39hrs and weekly pay £412.30.

There was no mention of a time limit or reasons as to why it could be revoked.

Been doing the hours for 3 and a half years but this contract is only from September last year.

09 Aug 2017, 19:08

As far as I understand it they can't bump your hours back down again if you've been working them for 3 and a half years. This is under the agreement that if you work 6 months or more at X amount of hours then you are entitled to a contract to reflect those hours. The only problem is that you have to be on the same duty for the duration of that time I believe.
Best of luck

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1