ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017... HERE

Voted for 1 in 4 and now getting stitched up.

15 May 2017, 17:08

We are having a repick in our DO, a lot of this admittedly is quite unfair on some of the senior guys that work there. There was a choice between 1 in 6 saturdays or 1 in 4 saturdays but the latter would mean some people would lose their duties, the 25hr contracts would be made upto 28hrs and the 30-32 contracts would be put on 4 days with a permanent monday/ tuesday off.
Now im not very senior ( around 3rd from the bottom) and I was going to vote for the 1 in 6 but although there were no "bullet points" I actually didnt know which vote would benefit me, I do know some of the part timers favoured 1 in 6 and the senior fulltimers voted to keep 1 in 4 so I asked my union rep and he told me my contract would rise to 28hrs and I would get a duty so I changed my mind and voted one in 4. This has all been approved by the dsm but now our manager at the last minute wants to keep me as a 25hr reserve and make up another person who is currently on 19hrs to 28hrs and give them a chance of a duty instead( this person would have had an increase to 25hrs). This person is 11months senior to me and I totally get that situation but this is not how this has been set out and will change the system that has been put in place. Not only that there are less senior people now getting duties to the ones that have been there longer that are now put down to reserves because of their contract type. So this system is not entirely based on seniority but its also on contract type ( 28hr people will get a duty and 30/32hr will get a cover)
I personally feel cheated if my manager does keep me at 25hrs because my vote changed because I was told by my rep this is how the plan will work and I would definitely get a 3hr rise.

Like I say for the record it stinks for a lot of people and I do understand and people more senior to me that seem to be getting shafted because of their contract type and have to come off duties but my point is I changed my vote because that is what I was told I was getting and this is now under threat after the vote and what my manager is doing by trying to stop my contract rise its not happening to anyone else.
Do I just have to sit back and just let them do that?Fair or not fair, this is what I was told I was getting so really my vote is void. Iam in the union. Not sure if I can put in a grievence for victimisation.
Last edited by postiewhite on 15 May 2017, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

15 May 2017, 17:14

Well if you are in the union see your rep and let us know how it all went.

15 May 2017, 17:22

That's RM for you, the workforce always get shafted one way or another. Interesting to see it's not only the people that have been there decades getting shafted though. Thought the whole point of this 'Part timers getting walks' was to piss off the Full timers as much as possible in the hope that they would all leave. There is no benefit whatsoever in having a Part timer signed into a walk quite the opposite actually! :hmmmm

15 May 2017, 20:43

postiewhite wrote:We are having a repick in our DO, a lot of this admittedly is quite unfair on some of the senior guys that work there. There was a choice between 1 in 6 saturdays or 1 in 4 saturdays but the latter would mean some people would lose their duties, the 25hr contracts would be made upto 28hrs and the 30-32 contracts would be put on 4 days with a permanent monday/ tuesday off.
Now im not very senior ( around 3rd from the bottom) and I was going to vote for the 1 in 6 but although there were no "bullet points" I actually didnt know which vote would benefit me, I do know some of the part timers favoured 1 in 6 and the senior fulltimers voted to keep 1 in 4 so I asked my union rep and he told me my contract would rise to 28hrs and I would get a duty so I changed my mind and voted one in 4. This has all been approved by the dsm but now our manager at the last minute wants to keep me as a 25hr reserve and make up another person who is currently on 19hrs to 28hrs and give them a chance of a duty instead( this person would have had an increase to 25hrs). This person is 11months senior to me and I totally get that situation but this is not how this has been set out and will change the system that has been put in place. Not only that there are less senior people now getting duties to the ones that have been there longer that are now put down to reserves because of their contract type. So this system is not entirely based on seniority but its also on contract type ( 28hr people will get a duty and 30/32hr will get a cover)
I personally feel cheated if my manager does keep me at 25hrs because my vote changed because I was told by my rep this is how the plan will work and I would definitely get a 3hr rise.

Like I say for the record it stinks for a lot of people and I do understand and people more senior to me that seem to be getting shafted because of their contract type and have to come off duties but my point is I changed my vote because that is what I was told I was getting and this is now under threat after the vote and what my manager is doing by trying to stop my contract rise its not happening to anyone else.
Do I just have to sit back and just let them do that?Fair or not fair, this is what I was told I was getting so really my vote is void. Iam in the union. Not sure if I can put in a grievence for victimisation.

Every Monday and Tuesday off? What a crock of s**t. Surely four day weeks should have a rotation??

15 May 2017, 21:34

The idea is that the long weekends (Sat-mon) will be a thing of the past so although the 1 in 4 still will exist for many but that will be a saturday only which means the cover men will not be needed Monday (or Tuesday as its the quiestest day) so the ones that will still get a Saturday off will need to work Monday

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1