ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Payment for poll cards

17 Mar 2017, 23:47

My question is simply this ;

Should my overtime hours be reduced to accommodate the poll card payment, as this has happened to all my colleagues within the office as well?

I have been a postie for a few years now, and this is the first time it's happened!
Please help if possible with an answer?

Payment for poll cards

18 Mar 2017, 00:18

NO!

Poll card / election material payments are separate, see info here...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69295

Payment for poll cards

18 Mar 2017, 00:21

Thanks Postman, that is what I thought! Any idea what action I should take to resolve it, as whole office should know about their rights?

Payment for poll cards

18 Mar 2017, 00:33

What has been put forward by our New manager is this;

Overtime hours = part of overtime + poll card payment

This I think is totally illegal but I have no-one to say if it is or not!

Payment for poll cards

18 Mar 2017, 13:08

TainPostie wrote:Thanks Postman, that is what I thought! Any idea what action I should take to resolve it, as whole office should know about their rights?

For the rep to deal with.
If you are not in union then it's overrunning procedure aside form election material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Payment for poll cards

18 Mar 2017, 13:42

Shove this email coreespondence between Dale Lang (RM head of IR) and Bob Gison CWU

Subject: RE: Elections 2014 <IGNORE DATE>

Sent: 02 April 2014 11:44
To: Bobby Gibson
Cc: Hayley Nutley; Andrew Martin
Subject: RE: Elections 2014 <IGNORE DATE>

Dear Bob

I’m happy to confirm that we take exactly the same view on the extended delivery issue. The unit payments mean we don’t pay overtime for the election material or poll cards but if the volume of ‘non-election material’ workload requires overtime then yes that should be paid in the normal way. The fact that we make election material unit payments on the day does not mean there can be no extended delivery overtime.

Andy and I can make this clear to colleagues.

On your second point you’re right we do recognise there may be occasions where the volume of poll cards and other mail mean is it simply not possible to maintain the full product service specification. But we have to be careful about how we can say this in our communications. We ask people to do all they reasonably can and if having done so some poll cards fall back to the next delivery we would not withhold the unit payment. As you say we will be pragmatic where necessary. I sent the words in red below to our heads of IR in response to a request for clarity on what DOMs should do in the event that volume made it impossible to clear the poll cards on one day.

While we make every effort to meet these service standards there are occasions when volumes make this impossible and some fall into the next delivery. We do not intend to withhold unit payments in the event of this happening.

Dale Lang, Royal Mail head of Industrial Relations

Payment for poll cards

19 Mar 2017, 19:47

Are poll cards due out now all over the uk,i was on A/L last week,have I missed delivery of them ?

Payment for poll cards

19 Mar 2017, 20:42

comeracing wrote:Are poll cards due out now all over the uk,i was on A/L last week,have I missed delivery of them ?

I'm not aware of any national elections or referendums taking place. Best guess is that there's a parliamentary constituency with a by-election happening

Payment for poll cards

19 Mar 2017, 21:35

Scottish local council elections

Payment for poll cards

01 Apr 2017, 06:13

The point was put to our union rep, but he said it was up to the dom if we could claim pressure overtime! The entire office completes pressure overtime on a daily basis, though surprisingly on the poll card day he said we didn't, and it was for the postie so to prove! Instead we are just going to drag our heels on the following months deliveries to make back the payment we were due!

Payment for poll cards

01 Apr 2017, 15:36

If you work in pairs just back each other up on how much there was, put the ball in his court and say prove we didn't have much

Payment for poll cards

01 Apr 2017, 17:50

Just had an hour OT knocked back on day of polling cards also. Took it up with manager and he backed down - eventually. Which, I have to say, is unusual. Many have been told they can't claim OT on day(s) of polling cards.

I'm looking at it like this - if I go 2 hours over on day of polling cards (lets say for the sake of simplicity that I deliver them in 1 day) and I subsequently get paid what would be the equivalent of 1 hour OT for the polling cards (around £11 - this will vary of course depending on the number of cards that you deliver) then I can still legitimately claim (at least) 1 hour OT.

Lots of posties in my neck of the woods put in no OT that day cos they'd been told they couldn't !!

Call me a conspiracy theorist (wouldn't be the first time) but the day of the polling cards was also unusually heavy. What were they up to I wonder ? :hmmmm

Payment for poll cards

01 Apr 2017, 19:14

TainPostie wrote:The point was put to our union rep, but he said it was up to the dom if we could claim pressure overtime! The entire office completes pressure overtime on a daily basis, though surprisingly on the poll card day he said we didn't, and it was for the postie so to prove! Instead we are just going to drag our heels on the following months deliveries to make back the payment we were due!

Yes - I contemplated that response as well - but to be honest I don't think its the correct response. Better to stick to your guns and get them to pay whats rightfully yours today.
Don't want them setting a bad precendent.
It worked for me. I suspect the manager knew they were on very dodgy ground and so buckled - he didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart thats for sure.

Point being that I can now assure members that in future they are of course entitled to claim OT on election material days - which I knew anyway, but the manager, in conceding, has kind of affirmed the point. Many members seem to have swallowed the management line without too much question.

Payment for poll cards

03 Apr 2017, 21:05

We get 6p an item for ours while some people only get 3p :shock:

Payment for poll cards

03 Apr 2017, 21:36

simply_the_best wrote:We get 6p an item for ours while some people only get 3p :shock:

We got 3p - why is that ?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1