ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017... HERE

Occupational health call, what to expect?

12 Feb 2017, 22:29

Hey all,

I'm due a call from Occupational health on Monday, just wondering what to expect? ...Googling, as always, has raised concerns, mainly regarding OH Assist (ATOS) and their reputation for unethical conduct, and possibly being forced back before I'm ready.

My current situation is: I've been off for about 7 weeks after I suffered a bad break to my my ankle/damaged tendons, I'm on the mend but I'm still in a cast, I can use 1 crutch for moving about the house, any further I need 2. I'm bored to the point of insanity being stuck in and I'm getting fat, but I genuinely don't feel I would be safe in the DO, one good knock to the ankle and I'm back to square one, in any case I couldn't even carry a box of D2Ds because of the crutch, I'm still kind of useless.

The DOM has been very good about it so far, but my recovery is looking like taking longer than the 'standard' 6-8 weeks he said it normally does.

12 Feb 2017, 22:46

Queeg500 wrote:Hey all,

I'm due a call from Occupational health on Monday, just wondering what to expect? ...Googling, as always, has raised concerns, mainly regarding OH Assist (ATOS) and their reputation for unethical conduct, and possibly being forced back before I'm ready.

My current situation is: I've been off for about 7 weeks after I suffered a bad break to my my ankle/damaged tendons, I'm on the mend but I'm still in a cast, I can use 1 crutch for moving about the house, any further I need 2. I'm bored to the point of insanity being stuck in and I'm getting fat, but I genuinely don't feel I would be safe in the DO, one good knock to the ankle and I'm back to square one, in any case I couldn't even carry a box of D2Ds because of the crutch, I'm still kind of useless.

The DOM has been very good about it so far, but my recovery is looking like taking longer than the 'standard' 6-8 weeks he said it normally does.

The telephone call will last approx. 20 minutes. What you have described in your post you explain this to OH Assist. As you are still in a cast it would be very difficult to return you to work given the nature of your job and H&S would also be considered. OH Assist will be independent and will base their decision on your circumstances and what is required of you in your job.

12 Feb 2017, 23:23

When I had to talk to OH assist on the phone it was a very good experience, the lady I dealt with was kind and understanding, I was expecting the opposite, They are not Royal Mail so their interest is in your health and finding out via phone call if you are well enough to return to work which by the sound of it you are not.
No need to worry, OH are not aggressive or pushy, get a good nights sleep, No need to fret.

13 Feb 2017, 07:20

Be very careful, a couple of years ago the dom wanted to pay me off on health grounds and arranged a phone call from ATOS.

It was a real setup, the so called "doctor" ignored everything I said and he had already decided what his report would be.

eg "Can you see yourself being able to do your job in the foreseeable future?"
"Yes, I've no doubt I'll be able to do the job once I recover from my op."
"No, no, I mean in the foreseeable future."
"Yes, I will get back to full duties once I recover properly."
"No, what I mean is can you definitely say WHEN you will be able to do your full duty?"
"I can't give a specific date, but I'm thinking weeks rather than months."
"So you can't give me a specific timeframe?"
"Well no, who could be specific about recovery from an op?"
"So I'll report that you are unable to see when you will be fit to do full duties."

2 weeks later I was doing my full duty.

If I were you I would record the phone call, just in case.

13 Feb 2017, 10:09

Thanks for the replies, think I should be ok, I've written down details of how I am so I can reference them in the call, in case I forget anything :thumbup

I will most definitely be recording the call, my dad is 63 has kidney failure and has had 2 heart attacks, he's waiting for a bypass and can barely walk up the stairs some days, the ATOS "professional" who assessed him said he was in perfect health for his age, he fabricated the entire interview, now my dad has to go to a tribunal hearing in his condition because of that unpleasant piece of work. They cannot be trusted.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1