ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : INFORMATION ON SEVERE WEATHER THREADS... HERE

New van Share Partner Concerns Advice Plz.

05 Jan 2017, 15:51

I am a non driver & will shortly have a new van share partner.
I need some advice please.
My new partner has only passed his driving test within the last two years, he has so far written off two of his own cars in RTA (road traffic accidents separate incidents) and has had two RTAs separate incidents with Royal Mail vans one was swept under the carpet has it was only a very bad scrape, the other incident he was taken off of driving until he re-took the Royal Mail driving test again. Big cheers & laughs in the office, believe it or not. :crazy:
He has been previously working alone in a van, and has recently signed in to the vacant walk linked to mine. My worry is I am concerned about his ability to drive after 4 incidents within a short space of time.
I have told my DOM I do not wish to work with him as I feel he is unsuitable, but have not relayed the real reason why.
Can I be forced to work with him? Can I refuse to work with him on these grounds, I am concerned about my own health & safety has his track record leaves a lot to be desired. :pray :pray
Any sound advice would be most grateful.

05 Jan 2017, 16:24

My feeling would be if Royal Mail are happy for him to be a driver and he has legitimately applied for and got the duty your only option,if you really don't want to work with him, would be to come off your own duty and go back to being reserve until you got a chance to sign for another duty.

05 Jan 2017, 17:22

Rm have no concerns and he has a valid licence so what's the problem? Anyone can have an accident and he may just have been unlucky. Personally I think with his current track record he is far more likely to be a careful driver having recently had accidents than one of the other cocky posties who haven't had any recent accidents and drive like Nigel Mansell on speed! :thumbup

05 Jan 2017, 19:43

Always wear your seatbelt and you'll probably be fine. :thumbup

05 Jan 2017, 19:49

Ask your manager for the Royal Mail van to be fitted with Trimble??

05 Jan 2017, 19:55

Ask to do the RM driving test and drive yourself with him as passenger.

05 Jan 2017, 20:03

Think of the compensation if he wrecks another van with you in it.

05 Jan 2017, 20:52

Surreypostie wrote:Think of the compensation if he wrecks another van with you in it.

This...6 months off, nice big payout....just hope you don't get too dead to enjoy it. :nana

05 Jan 2017, 21:47

It could have been after his first rtc that his confidence was knocked. Then it led to the second and third etc.

It does knock you for 6 as you've been trying to do well after passing your test. Then this happens.

06 Jan 2017, 21:26

Be an adult, if his driving is unsafe, tell him to slow down and take more care. If he doesn't, then tell your dom. Do give him the benefit of the doubt though, everyone starts driving at sometime, maybe you could help him become a safer driver?

07 Jan 2017, 13:21

Thanks everyone for your comments, I feel so much more confident now with all the positive feedback given.
Happy posting :Very Happy