ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Grandma's Funeral - Easy Enough To Get The Day Off?

08 Aug 2017, 19:29

My grandmother passed away today so obviously there'll be a funeral in the next couple of weeks. Take it I can get the day off for this without any hassle? Instead of going without a days' pay, or swapping my day off, etc. Thanks.

08 Aug 2017, 19:48

I had the same a couple of years back and had to fill out a special leave form for the day off. My manager tried to tell me I wouldn't get paid but that is not true so don't let your manager try that trick. Hopefully you'll have no problems.

08 Aug 2017, 19:52

Bereavement:
The special leave policy allows for up to one week with pay for the death of next of kin and blood relative, (spouse or civil partner, child, parent, sibling) and one day with pay for parent in law (or the equivalent in a civil partnership or longstanding unmarried relationship), or grandparent.
Discretion for additional time off with pay may be granted in exceptional circumstances. If the circumstances are not exceptional, any additional time off granted will be unpaid, or taken as annual leave.

Discretion for time off with pay, in circumstances where the relationship to the deceased is not covered by the above, may be granted if the circumstances are ‘truly’ exceptional.
If the circumstances are not ‘truly’ exceptional, any time off granted will be unpaid, or taken as annual leave.
Note that under the Employment Rights Act 1996 s57A, an employee has the right to take unpaid time off upon the death of a dependant to make any necessary arrangements only. The purpose of this leave is to make funeral arrangements etc and this does not give the employee a statutory right to take more than a few days off following the death of a dependant.

Taken directly from Link viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24456 :wave :wave

08 Aug 2017, 19:57

Good stuff, thanks chaps. Suspected it would be ok, but you never know when managers will try acting the goat!

08 Aug 2017, 22:02

If a member of your family, e.g. grandparent or parent-in-law passes away, your manager can give you one
day’s paid leave to attend the funeral.

Or the latest one which is here...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Time ... ummary.pdf

Which is part of...
Royal Mail employment policies are ideal for reps and colleagues as a quick guide to our full agreements. (Updated 2016)

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-ma ... glance.php

08 Aug 2017, 22:22

Thanks Postman, shouldn't be any problems, then.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1