ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017... HERE

Death in service payment.

20 Apr 2017, 16:04

My wife died in service on 13/01/17 & I gave the office DOM her death certificate & waited to hear about her death in benefit payment. I was medically retired from "THE BUSINESS" in Sept 16 & for the last 4 months of her life I was her sole carer. I have tried to find out when this payment will be paid only to be told that this payment is at THE DISCRETION OF THE PENSION MANAGERS & TRUSTEES, & is not an automatic payment as assumed by the majority of staff. I now find myself in the position whereby I have no payment date & am being refused any contact with the Trustees & now feel I have no other option than to contact the nation press & expose this deliberate withholding of death payments & total disregard for ex members & their families.

20 Apr 2017, 18:42

Sorry to hear of your loss as well as your own health issues. Just when I thought this company couldn't be any less considerate. I hope you get a resolution soon and RM pull their fat fingers out of their arses and do what is right.

20 Apr 2017, 21:32

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry that they're treating you like this. Shout it from the roof tops. Do what ever it takes. Have you spoken to the union?

21 Apr 2017, 07:50

graysboy wrote:I now find myself in the position whereby I have no payment date & am being refused any contact with the Trustees

Is having a date really essential? 4 weeks isn't something to panic about - RM use presumably Zurich who will have their own wheels of bureaucracy to grind through, performing checks of their own.

As for refused contact, write them a letter, phone them up. Don't demand, enquire. "Are there any updates on x..." "Would a copy of <document y> be of assistance?"

21 Apr 2017, 17:10

swindonandy wrote:
graysboy wrote:I now find myself in the position whereby I have no payment date & am being refused any contact with the Trustees

Is having a date really essential? 4 weeks isn't something to panic about - RM use presumably Zurich who will have their own wheels of bureaucracy to grind through, performing checks of their own.

As for refused contact, write them a letter, phone them up. Don't demand, enquire. "Are there any updates on x..." "Would a copy of <document y> be of assistance?"

I would have thought a date was essential, what about funeral costs, dates,etc? He needs to know where he stands so he can formulate a plan going forward. Given that he has to grieve as well,it's a bit unfair one would suggest to leave someone in the lurch at a time like this.

21 Apr 2017, 17:39

graysboy wrote:My wife died in service on 13/01/17 & I gave the office DOM her death certificate & waited to hear about her death in benefit payment. I was medically retired from "THE BUSINESS" in Sept 16 & for the last 4 months of her life I was her sole carer. I have tried to find out when this payment will be paid only to be told that this payment is at THE DISCRETION OF THE PENSION MANAGERS & TRUSTEES, & is not an automatic payment as assumed by the majority of staff. I now find myself in the position whereby I have no payment date & am being refused any contact with the Trustees & now feel I have no other option than to contact the nation press & expose this deliberate withholding of death payments & total disregard for ex members & their families.

I think that you should go the press :Applause

21 Apr 2017, 18:27

Be careful about going to the press just yet. The first question that has to be asked is did your wife make a nomination to the trustees telling them who she would prefer the benefits to be paid to. If your wife has not made a nomination then it is the role of the trustees to ascertain to whom the benefits should be awarded, and it is not necessary that this is the next of kin. It may therefore be that the Trustees are carrying out enquiries/investigations before they make an award. Your best bet is to write to the Trustees directly and ask them whether your wife in fact did make a nomination. Royal Mail have no jurisdiction on whether you contact the trustees. The trustees are a wholly independent organisation set up to administer the pension/death benefits and Royal Mail has no mandate or business right to determine who can contact this organisation.

21 Apr 2017, 22:59

I have been told that there is no record of my wife of I making a nomination but I know this to be wrong as we sat down & completed these forms together. I am now being told that a group of faceless people are to decide on how this fund is distributed even though they have no record of family history of of my wife's wishes. I was also told that even if there is a nomination form it is only used as guidance. So I & my family are in limbo.

22 Apr 2017, 00:05

swindonandy wrote:

3 months not 4 weeks ?

22 Apr 2017, 00:14

swindonandy wrote:

Where are you getting four weeks isn't something to panic about from? It's been 14 weeks already since his wife died. As someone else mentioned there will have been funeral costs and other expenses.

22 Apr 2017, 21:08

graysboy wrote:I have been told that there is no record of my wife of I making a nomination but I know this to be wrong as we sat down & completed these forms together. I am now being told that a group of faceless people are to decide on how this fund is distributed even though they have no record of family history of of my wife's wishes. I was also told that even if there is a nomination form it is only used as guidance. So I & my family are in limbo.

Graysboy, all UK occupational and personal pensions are administered under discretionary trust rules in order to protect the funds against improper claims, make sure that the benefits are distributed to those in the family that have the most need and to make sure the benefits can be paid outside of the estate of the deceased in order that there is no liability for inheritance tax to be paid by the beneficiary/beneficiaries. The trustees are not faceless people, they are individuals that have been entrusted to deal with the administration of the pension funds/death in service benefits in accordance with the trust deeds. If they fail in their duty to carry out these functions they can be held to account within the judicial system. Generally trustees are not salaried and are voted on to the board of trustees by the membership and are represented by members of staff, retired employees as well as company representatives.
It is correct that a nomination form is only a guidance. This is because this is a persons personal wish at the time they created their nomination and of course years later their circumstances may have changed dramatically and this is why the trust is there to make sure that benefits are paid strictly in accordance with those of the most need within the family circumstances. It is important that families change their nomination as their circumstances change.
I am sure that once the trustees have completed their necessary checks, they will contact you to advise you of their conclusions. Fourteen weeks does seem a long time, and I would be inclined to send them a polite letter asking them when you and your family can expect an outcome.

24 Apr 2017, 09:24

Thank you for your comprehensive answer, but as I said we both made nominations & at no point has pensions approached me to ask of family circumstances. They are now claiming that they have no record of these nominations being received. As a family we are dealing not only with the loss of my wife but also the loss of my eldest grandson just before Christmas, so as you can imagine there has been considerable expense & we meed to settle accounts. We also want to put a joint memorial in place, pensions are aware of these facts but choose to drag their heels. They continue to hide behind the Trustees & their internal bureaucracy.

24 Apr 2017, 11:10

Graysboy, I understand your suffering having lost a brother and also his son in recent years. Another angle you could look at in sorting this matter out is through the CWU if your wife was a member. If so I would contact them as they can offer legal support and may be able to contact the Trustees to find out what is going on and why such a long delay without contacting the family. I also believe that you may be entitled to a payment from the CWU. Please see details below.

Death Benefit
Death grant for members currently stands at £771.00. Next of kin should contact the branch of the deceased in the first instance. Any queries, please contact Linda at lmcnamara@cwu.org

24 Apr 2017, 14:36

Thanks I received this payment & her outstanding holiday pay, in regards to the Death in service payment the CWU have no contact with the trustees.

25 Apr 2017, 19:10

This is what it says on royalmailpensionplan,co.uk
"If you die during Reckonable Service, and you haven’t already taken any of your benefits, the following benefits will be paid:

A lump sum: This is four times your final pensionable pay.
Dependants’ pensions: These are for widows or widowers, and civil partners - or, if you’re not married or in a civil partnership, someone who was financially dependent on you. The pension is half of the pension you would have been entitled to for ill health retirement. Pensions can also be paid to your children, usually until they turn 18.
It’s very important that you confirm who you would like to get any benefits when you die. There are different forms for you to fill in:"

So it says "will be paid" it doesn't say anything about it being a discretionary payment

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2