ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017... HERE

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 21:52

Dear all,

If I take time off for a family emergency I assume I will not be paid? Is that correct. If i need to take few days of will there be any issue related to attendence. I dont mind get paid and I dont want my holiday allowance to cover that if possible.
Just worried about getting any conduct for not coming to work?

Thank you in advance

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:00

A lot of this is down to your manager. It also depends what the emergency is and who it involves.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:02

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Time ... ummary.pdf

Urgent domestic: There may be times when you need time off to deal with emergencies at home,
e.g. your house is flooded or you’ve been burgled. Your manager can usually give you one day’s paid
leave (this can be up to three days in exceptional circumstances.)*

*Additional days may be covered by holiday or unpaid leave.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:10

Thanks for the quick response.
I am not worried about getting paid. As long as i dont get into trouble with attendance I m ok. Do you think manager can give me a warning even if im on unpaid leave for couple of days? I couldnt find the answer for that in the guide. Greatly appreciated If someone can shed light on this matter .

Cheers

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:12

You can agree with management if you want, a number of days off unpaid.
It will not go against you.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:24

Relieved to hear that. Cheers mate

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 22:46

You can only be given a warning for sickness or unauthorised absence. Special leave is neither.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:20

number one wrote:You can only be given a warning for sickness or unauthorised absence. Special leave is neither.

Thanks for the reply. Can u eleborate more on the term "unauthorized absence"? Can the manager deny my request that i will not be able to work for few days as my wife is sick and in the hospital and i have to look after her and the kids?

Cheers

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:22

number one wrote:You can only be given a warning for sickness or unauthorised absence. Special leave is neither.

think you can actually be sacked for unauthorised absence i.e a.w.o.l??

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:26

aiden01 wrote:

think you can actually be sacked for unauthorised absence i.e a.w.o.l??

Take postmans view above and you can,t go wrong.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:37

Yes in very extreme circumstances you can be sacked for unauthorised absence but it had never happened in my office since I have been with RM.

You have to be careful how you word it. If your wife is going into hospital for something that is pre-planned then that is not an emergency and you would not be paid however I notice you say you are not bothered about pay so in that case ask for parental leave to look after your children.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:49

Hi,

Its not preplanned. HAd to go for a check up and was asked to admit to the ward. Text manager as soon this happened.(12 hours before work starts)

Cheers

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

19 Apr 2017, 23:52

postman15 wrote:Hi,

Its not preplanned. HAd to go for a check up and was asked to admit to the ward. Text manager as soon this happened.(12 hours before work starts)

Cheers

You have nothing to worry about then with regards to work, hope things are ok for you and your family.

Emergency Leave - Unpaid

20 Apr 2017, 16:52

postman15 wrote:Hi,

Cheers

That is by definition "Special Leave". If you are in contact with your manager it can't be used as unauthorised absence, though any further days off will need to be agreed with them.

Whether its paid or not is at their discretion, but I would have thought at least the 1st day would be paid.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1