ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Retention of RM Vehicles at Home

17 Mar 2017, 16:57

How many offices still allow it? Ours was informed today that overnight retention will be gone for those that do take vans home. Is this a nationwide cost-cutting exercise (or is it confined to an area or even depot basis) to coincide with the start of the new tax year I wonder? If they are going to be gone from all offices then at least there is a consistency to RM's logic but I doubt this is the case.

17 Mar 2017, 17:07

We lost ours just after Xmas ,we were told this was an instruction from the Directors not at local level.

17 Mar 2017, 17:10

nickbsmooth wrote:We lost ours just after Xmas ,we were told this was an instruction from the Directors not at local level.

Makes no sense if depots are being instructed at different times of the year! :roll:

17 Mar 2017, 17:32

It was only brought in because Delivery Offices didn't have enough parking spaces for all the vans.
So are they now paying for reserved parking spaces near Delivery Offices instead of us looking after the vans for free ?

17 Mar 2017, 17:44

we've heard nowt. everybody takes them home. not enough room in yard. one bloke even has a 30 mile round trip. nowt said.

17 Mar 2017, 18:36

daveyeff wrote:we've heard nowt. everybody takes them home. not enough room in yard. one bloke even has a 30 mile round trip. nowt said.

Which makes me think that cessation of vehicle retention (in our LDO) is not being done because of some 'national directive' but rather due to area/LDO cost-cutting directive. There is no way that all our vehicles can be locked away safely behind the locked gates.... :crazy:

NEWS FLASH : RM shares have increased by 1.3% as the markets now know they are serious about cost-cutting :chuckle

17 Mar 2017, 19:24

They are looking at "unofficial" retention which seems to be quite widespread,management turning a blind eye to people taking vans home without going through the retention process, I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.

17 Mar 2017, 20:39

fishtank wrote: I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.

I'm safe then :nana

17 Mar 2017, 20:52

fishtank wrote:They are looking at "unofficial" retention which seems to be quite widespread,management turning a blind eye to people taking vans home without going through the retention process, I've also heard that they're looking at capping the distance, 8 miles was mentioned I think.

Er, yes, because it would only be a taxable employee benefit if retention was "official". :crazy: I understand. :thumbup

17 Mar 2017, 22:31

Our yard is too small for all the vans we need so overnight retention suited RM. However if you don't have a car there is also next to no public transport to get in for a 6.30 start, so is this in fact a precursor to later starts/later finishes?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1