ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 14:52

In our D.O we're being constantly reminded about the importance of scanning all 2D bar codes but the thing ive noticed is that these codes crop up on the majority of mail not just packets but also on half the letters .
Spoke to my manager about it today regarding the rectangle 2D codes on some of the letters and he said "they wont even scan dont bother with them" I insisted that they do scan and showed him one that I scanned in front of him .
Now we're in this position where we are showing a poor percentage of 2D scans , we always try to scan all the packets and obvious square type codes but theres just way to many of them on letters and just about anything and now we dont know why these poor percentages are showing up on the sysytem . Does anyone here know how to Identify the proper 2D bar codes?
Our union rep said he scans everything and he can still only score 75% scan rate , not sure if he scans all the letters tho...
I tried scanning most of the letters today and its an absolute pain in the ass . One hand holds the bundle the other hand flicks through them , so which hand am I supposed to hold the scanner with ?

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 15:28

dont' take this as gospel but we were told that the 24 and 48 2d packets were the ones that are counted.

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 15:30

Most of the 2D barcodes on the letters will scan with new pda`s, even the rectangular ones. Guess RM will also be asking for these to be scanned in the future. However the 2D barcodes can be very unreliable, ie they can scan as an item which requires a signature when it clearly does not and can also show the other way round. Also with many customers reusing packaging it can lead to items being double scanned and/or the most recent barcode being missed. Very surprised we are not being told to scan the 1D long barcode on important items such as specials tracked etc due to all the above. Also even with the new pda`s some of the 2D barcodes will not scan however hard you try. This can be due to poor printing, smudged, wet or marked items and sometimes just down to poor placement of the barcode on the item.

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 16:23

On the proof of posting obtained when you post a small parcel etc, there is nothing to link that parcel and the 2D label and hence the scan of it being delivered.
Seems pretty pointless having to scan these 2D's.

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 16:29

masterblaster wrote:On the proof of posting obtained when you post a small parcel etc, there is nothing to link that parcel and the 2D label and hence the scan of it being delivered.

Isn't it more something to do with RM being able to see how parcel volume is flowing through the system rather than tracking individual parcels
and seeing if there are regular/recurring bottlenecks over a period of time?

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 16:43

yellowbelly wrote:
masterblaster wrote:On the proof of posting obtained when you post a small parcel etc, there is nothing to link that parcel and the 2D label and hence the scan of it being delivered.

Isn't it more something to do with RM being able to see how parcel volume is flowing through the system rather than tracking individual parcels
and seeing if there are regular/recurring bottlenecks over a period of time?

Could be..
The 2D bar codes also notify the addressed that a parcel has been delivered or not (sometimes with text message) it can also bring up delivery info like safe place or to leave at alternative address .
Not all the 2D's have the numeral code visible (printed above it) they're a super long sequence of numbers, so if scanner wont scan theres nothing you can do sometimes .

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 17:31

I find it strange that they are called ' 2-D barcodes ' - they don't have bars for a start, plus if they were 1 D then they would be invisible.....

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 18:55

JKSmudge wrote:I find it strange that they are called ' 2-D barcodes ' - they don't have bars for a start, plus if they were 1 D then they would be invisible.....

Wait till they bring out 4-D ones,every house on the new Hyperspace Bypass will have one :Very Happy

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 20:41

On some items the 2D barcode might also be a recorded/signed for item

2D bar codes

15 Feb 2017, 21:19

So many parcels are coming through with badly printed barcodes you have no chance of scanning them all on delivery :evil/mad

2D bar codes

16 Feb 2017, 17:07

ewancurze wrote:
JKSmudge wrote:I find it strange that they are called ' 2-D barcodes ' - they don't have bars for a start, plus if they were 1 D then they would be invisible.....

Wait till they bring out 4-D ones,every house on the new Hyperspace Bypass will have one :Very Happy

Will we be doorstepping the flux-capacitor, ala the bulbs.

2D bar codes

16 Feb 2017, 17:15

A2B wrote:So many parcels are coming through with badly printed barcodes you have no chance of scanning them all on delivery :evil/mad

DOM told us that if our PDAs won't scan the barcodes then the mail centres aren't scanning them either, so they don't count towards %.

2D bar codes

16 Feb 2017, 17:20

Unless they're scanning ok in the mail centre, then when they've been in the bottom of your packet york all night then in your bag on delivery the label is usually useless by this point and won't scsn.

2D bar codes

16 Feb 2017, 17:25

Also, some of these barcodes are printed at home by the sender via Click and Drop. If their printer doesn't print these barcodes off perfectly, they're not going to scan when they get to us.

2D bar codes

16 Feb 2017, 17:28

*scan

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2