ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : INFORMATION ON SEVERE WEATHER THREADS... HERE

Do they send you out on delivery in the snow???

09 Jan 2017, 18:30

Just asking........

09 Jan 2017, 18:39

Yes

09 Jan 2017, 18:43

Oh bugger :-0

09 Jan 2017, 18:52

This is somebody taking the piss eh

09 Jan 2017, 18:59

No not taking the piss. It hasn't snowed since I've been in the job. Thought there would be H&S implications with risks of slips and falls. There again Royal Mail would send you out on delivery with a broken leg.

09 Jan 2017, 19:11

Nobody goes out in the west mids when it snows, the last time it snowed people just threw there jobs of, did some sorting & went home.

09 Jan 2017, 19:13

They rarely make a decision on your behalf, they normally put the ball in your court on whether it's too dangerous out there or not. They also say I might add, that if you get the van stuck somewhere then it's all your doing.

09 Jan 2017, 19:25

Havnt had snow since we've had trolleys, be interesting when we do as I've heard several people say they're not pushing a trolley in the snow.

09 Jan 2017, 19:44

Been sent out in snow several times.

A few years ago an undercover TV documentary inserted a journalist in a DO, filmed Posties on a snowy day and criticised them for not going out to deliver. The undercover Postie managed to slide his way across icy pavements to find a block of flats with sheltered stairways and he said 'Look there is no snow here why can't these lazy Posties get out here and deliver' :/

09 Jan 2017, 19:47

In adverse weather conditions (ice, snow, and slippery conditions) the HCT must only be used on cleared surfaces and with extra care

It is in the SSOW for the Mk 11 trolley.

09 Jan 2017, 20:12

If past experience is anything to go on they will probably not send you out the first day it snows when the snow is fresh and not that slippery but send you out the next day when it's been compacted down, frozen, turned to ice and slippery as hell.

09 Jan 2017, 20:20

Thanks for the replies. I'm usually on a HCT duty. Thankfully there was no snow last winter but just wanted to know what to expect if we get it.

09 Jan 2017, 20:29

Zicomurphy wrote:If past experience is anything to go on they will probably not send you out the first day it snows when the snow is fresh and not that slippery but send you out the next day when it's been compacted down, frozen, turned to ice and slippery as hell.

Ha ha ha ha very true.

They will also tell you if you fall over it will be your own fault.

09 Jan 2017, 21:29

you choose if it's safe enough to do your duty without risking an injury etc.

your Dom will ask you to work in the office doing some sorting / prepping / sweeping the floor / painting the walls etc to use up your hours of work for that day.

if your Dom asks you if you want to go home, say no. He could ask you to work extra during the next 7 days to cover for your hours that you lost by deciding to go home.

if you can't get to your Home office, try to get to your closest local office.

if you can't get in at all, then call your Dom at your earliest convenience to advise him.

a few years ago I informed my Dom that I would not be able to get in ( I live 800" above my DO ) the snow was an Inch at the office but 5 inches at my home, he sent out a person in a van to fetch me in, the person almost ended up in a ditch half way to my home, so he turned around.

above all, stay safe, you are a long time dead if you try to drive / walk into work and have a serious accident.

09 Jan 2017, 21:40

peshwaarinaan wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm usually on a HCT duty. Thankfully there was no snow last winter but just wanted to know what to expect if we get it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine (said every manager ever).........

image.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.