ANNOUNCEMENT: Vote in our poll on the General Secretary election HERE

Confused

23 Oct 2009, 08:39

I am probably going to sound a bit stupid here, i have been a postman for 20 years and will be backing the strike action 100%, but i am a bit confused, when they interviewed one of the posties on the picketline he said we realise the need for modernisation (which means walk sequencing machines) which inevitably lead to job cuts and part time working, he said all we want is a say in how we modernise, it seems to me that even if we win the strike its not going to stop the job cuts or part time working as the machines are inevitable, which makes me a bit confused, what do we hope to gain?

Re: Confused

23 Oct 2009, 08:41

you posted this topic 3 times :chuckle :chuckle

23 Oct 2009, 08:43

23 Oct 2009, 08:43

I really am stupid :crazy:

23 Oct 2009, 08:45

Make that 5 times :left:

23 Oct 2009, 08:45

23 Oct 2009, 08:48

what's up with forum this morning :funneh :funneh

23 Oct 2009, 09:14

Yes its true you cannot fight modernization its an industrial fact of life that manual processes will be replaced with automated computer driven systems.

So yes we do need to modernise and yes there will be some job losses along the way . Its un avoidable and I think even the most harden left minded postal workers accept this.
But it’s the way the process is implemented which is important. If we were heavily losing money than maybe drastic action would be needed and quickly but the fact is we are not in that dire situation and are in PROFIT in all 4 parts of our business.

So modernisation can be accomplished at a reasonable and workable rate without the need for drastic job cuts and changes to working practices. Just through natural wastage (retiring and leaving) Royal Mail loses well over 12% of its workforce each year so the process need not be so painful.

Its just been the way that these modernisation stages (so far 1-4) have been forced upon us with a barrage of threats and lies. There is a recognised procedure whereupon change is agreed by staff through their trade union hopefully avoid over zealous action by some bulling managers.
These is where its going wrong as the mighty in charge do not seem to recognise our Union with any form of respect and thus some managers are doing exactly the same to front line staff creating un-welcome stress and resentment within the workplace.

Also the changes which are being forced upon us such as extending your delivery working time are not being distributed fairly. You may already be struggling with a 4 hour walk and will be equally expected to accommodate an extra 45 min lapse as a college who may have only a 3 hour walk. This will mean you are put under stress to complete and will be accused of working slow if you are unable and threatened with the withdrawal of your pay. This is plainly unacceptable.

By implementing change with the agreement of our Union this situation can be avoided with local walk testing and agreement with managers which will mean everyone gets a fair workload without being overstressed.

23 Oct 2009, 09:21

Thanks for that, not so confused now.

23 Oct 2009, 12:02

neilcfc wrote:Thanks for that, not so confused now.

No worries pal :wink:

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1